Saturday, August 27, 2005

Money in Politics

Money in Politics

Barely a week into my first blog, I’ve created a new parallel blog which is solely focused on Politics and Money.  I have a lot of experience with money and politics at the highest levels.  

Frankly, I thought that I would be using this blog for a rather detailed discussion of that issue, but as I got into the blogging, I realized how the topic could be lost in other discussions I was engaging.  

I also got another kick in the ass about writing on the Money and Politics issue when I saw yet another national political writer, delving into the issues associated with the various political money tools.  The article focused on tribal gaming, lobbyists and political contributions, but frankly didn’t do a very good job of exploring how and why the various money sources were used.

I’ve come to the conclusion that reporters don’t really understand the money and politics thing, or they don’t care to tell the truth about it.  Those who really understand this issue, generally have no incentive to publicly discuss it.  And those who publicly discuss politics and money don’t seem to “get it,” or are affiliated with a partisan issue and don’t really want to expose all they know.

I’ve been there. It isn’t pretty. And I’d like to illuminate the issue completely.  Neither Democrats or Republicans will be happy about all that I have to say, but I hope my readers will be able to look at who is funding whom, and who is receiving money from whom, and get a better understanding of why issues are moving in a particular way.

In politics – it is all about the money.