Friday, September 30, 2005

Delay addresses the waiver of statute of limitations

Okay, I missed it yesterday. I was bowling.

You learn something new every day when you are blogging.

Tom Delay has addressed the issue of waiving his statute of limitations. It was in a Fox News interview with Brit Hume yesterday.

Read the whole transcript please, but here’s the operative section of his discussion of the waiver issue:

HUME: At a point here you decided to waive the statute of limitations on this offense.

DELAY:
Yes.

HUME:
And that's mentioned in the indictment. Describe that.

DELAY:
I was sort of extorted out of that. Ronnie Earle let my lawyers know last week that I was going to be indicted because he had a runaway grand jury and that he was not going to go in and talked him out of it unless I waive my statute of limitations rights for another 30 days.
So I thought, "Yes, let's keep working on it."

HUME:
Did you believe at that time you had a chance of talking him out of this indictment?

DELAY:
Yes.

HUME:
Did he ever say anything to you to give you a reason to believe that?

DELAY:
I didn't talk to him. He talked to my lawyers.

I missed this, and that was a blogging mistake. In fairness to Mr. Delay, I will leave this post to stand on its own. Later I will dissect it. But his response deserves your review without my commentary now.